Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hidden Pond Open Space, Shelton

I was out inspecting the open space at Hidden Pond in Shelton today.

There is a little fisherman access trail from Hidden Pond Lane at the Shelton/Trumbull border that leads to the view above. Much of the pond is now a cattail marsh - great for wildlife.

Here's some button bush (with little brown buttons), a wetlands shrub, at the edge of the cattails.

The bucks have been sharpening their antlers on this alder.


The rest of the various open space properties in that area are tough for the general public to get to. I had my waterproof boots and gps showing the property lines, so I followed the stream that empties into Hidden Pond looking for a spot shallow enough to cross.

Here's a little mushroom growing inside a tree hollow.

I have no idea what this is.

Mmmmmmm. Cranberry, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy.....

This aluminum open space sign was nailed to a tree in the wrong spot so I removed it. Looks like made a good tooth-sharpener for someone.

No comments: