Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Red-Tailed Hawk Nest

I don't think I've ever been scolded at so much as when I stumbled upon an active red-tailed hawk nest on City open space on Huntington Street near Trap Falls Reservoir and Commerce Drive. I was on the property for almost two hours, and eventually I could tell where I was just by the sound of the screaming hawk. I never got a clear view of the birds, just glimpses, but that's pretty normal for wildlife viewing in the summer. I could only identify the hawk by the call. What caught my ear, though, was a whistling that I did not recognize and assume was either the mother hawk or her nestlings (see the video to hear it as well as me being scolded). Coordinates of the nest are N41° 16.7673', W73° 8.3946'. Watch out if you're standing below or you may receive a white gooey gift from the birds! I also witnessed a big fight between a blue jay and a squirrel (the blue jay won); the squirrel was probably trying to steal the jay's eggs (squirrels do eat bird eggs).

2 comments:

Connie said...

Today 08/26/07 a "Red Tailed Hawk" landed on my sister porch. We live in the Fall Mpuntain Lake area of Terryville. The bird stayed on the porch railing for about 5 minutes, enough time for my sister to take pictures. Then the bird flew to my neighbor across the street. We got a a couple of more pictures whjich we are trying to put on the computer. And yes you are correct, he left his dropping in my neighbors yard. Beautiful bird. Never seen one before.

Connie said...

Today 08/26/07 a "Red Tailed Hawk" landed on my sister's porch. We live in the Fall Mountain Lake area of Terryville. The bird stayed on the porch railing for about 5 minutes, enough time for my sister to take pictures. Then the bird flew to my neighbor across the street. We got a a couple of more pictures which we are trying to put on the computer. And yes you are correct, he left his dropping in my neighbors yard. Sorry for the typing errors, we are so excited to be printing the photos are the printer.